Effective March 2, 2021, Microsoft Windows Server 2022 is available in preview and will be generally available later in 2021 as part of Microsoft’s Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC).
Windows Server 2022 LTSC is for customers that need the most stable build of Windows Server with 5 years of mainstream support and 5 years of extended support.
New features include:
- New advanced multilayer security, hybrid capabilities with Azure and a flexible application platform
- Secured-core server building on technologies such as Windows Defender System Guard and Virtualization-based Security to minimize risk from firmware vulnerabilities and advanced malware
- Secured connectivity by introducing several new capabilities such as faster and more secure encrypted HTTPS connections and industry standard SMB AES 256 encryption
- Improved hybrid server management, an enhanced event viewer and many more new capabilities in Windows Admin Center
- Improvements to Windows containers, such as smaller image size for faster download, simplified network policy implementation and containerization tools for .NET applications
For the announcement, please visit: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2021/03/02/announcing-windows-server-2022-now-in-preview/.
For more details on the release of Windows Server 2022, please visit this Microsoft Ignite session: https://myignite.microsoft.com/sessions/8c615c6a-64ef-4c40-8ede-7eed49bc92bc?source=sessions.