Effective January 4, 2024, Microsoft Azure Spring Apps Enterprise plan is eligible for Azure Savings Plan discounts. Customers committing to a 1-year Azure Savings Plan can expect savings of 20%, and 47% for a 3-year Plan, compared to Pay-As-You-Go costs.
What is Azure Spring Apps Enterprise?
Azure Spring Apps Enterprise is a fully managed service that lets you build, deploy, and run Spring Boot applications on Azure with zero code changes. Spring Boot is a powerful tool that simplifies the development of web applications and microservices using the Spring Framework. The Spring Framework is an open-source, enterprise-level framework for creating standalone, production-grade applications that run on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
Azure Spring Apps Enterprise provides enterprise-grade features such as autoscaling, high availability, security, monitoring, and more.
Note: Azure Spring Apps is the new name for the Azure Spring Cloud service, which was launched in 2020.
The following diagram shows the architecture for this approach:
If you are using Azure Spring Apps Enterprise plan, which offers dedicated clusters and unlimited vCores, you have a great opportunity to save up to 47% on your compute costs with Azure Savings Plan.
How Azure Savings Plan Works
Azure Savings Plan applies to any Azure service that has a compute dimension, such as virtual machines, container instances, App Services, Azure Kubernetes Service, Azure Synapse, Azure Databricks, and Azure Spring Apps. You can choose how much you want to commit to spend on compute usage per hour, and you will get the lower savings plan prices for the amount of usage that matches your commitment. Any usage beyond that will be charged at the regular pay-as-you-go rates. In return, you undertake to make consistent payments for your set usage volume, even if the actual usage is lower.
For example, if you buy a one-year savings plan and commit to $5 USD of spend per hour, Azure automatically applies the savings plan to compute usage globally on an hourly basis up to the example $5 hourly commitment. Hourly usage for Azure Spring Apps Enterprise would be billed for active usage as follows:
- Usage at or below $5 USD for the hour is billed at lower savings plan prices and covered by the savings plan hourly commitment. Note that you would pay the $5 USD amount every hour, even if usage is less.
- For usage above $5 USD for any given hour, the first $5 USD of usage is billed at lower savings plan prices and covered by the savings plan hourly commitment. The amount above $5 USD is billed at pay-as-you-go prices and will be added to the invoice separately.
Azure Savings Plan is first applied to the product that has the greatest savings plan discount when compared to the equivalent pay-as-you-go rate. The application prioritization is done to ensure that you receive the maximum benefit from your savings plan investment.
Benefits of Azure Spring Apps Enterprise
- Dedicated and isolated clusters that provide enhanced performance, security, and compliance
- Unlimited vCores that allow you to scale your applications to meet any demand
- Enterprise-grade Service Level Agreement (SLA) of 99.95% availability
- Integration with Azure Active Directory, Azure Monitor, and Azure DevOps
- Support for Spring Cloud Config Server, Service Registry, Distributed Tracing, and Spring Cloud Stream
How to Get Started with Azure Savings Plan
Getting started with Azure Savings Plan is easy and does not require any changes to your existing Azure Spring Apps Enterprise set-ups or applications. You can purchase Azure Savings Plan from the Azure Portal, Azure Command-Line Interface (CLI), or Azure PowerShell. You can also use the Azure Pricing Calculator to estimate your savings based on your expected usage.
For the announcement article, please visit: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/apps-on-azure-blog/azure-spring-apps-enterprise-is-now-eligible-for-azure-savings/ba-p/4021532.
For software licensing information on Microsoft licensing programs, please visit: https://www.schneider.im/software/microsoft/.
Please contact us for free expert consultancy on your specific Microsoft agreements, more information and to request a quote.