VMware announced the release of vSphere Platinum on October 31st, 2018. VMware vSphere Platinum is a new edition of vSphere that delivers advanced security capabilities fully integrated into the hypervisor. This new release combines the industry leading capabilities of vSphere with VMware AppDefense, delivering purpose-built VMs to secure applications. Included with vSphere Platinum, VMware AppDefense delivers key capabilities to protect applications running on vSphere. AppDefense understands an application’s intended state and behavior, then monitors for changes to that intended state. Any change from this “known good” state would indicate a threat. This method enables the virtual machine to run in “known good” state rather than trying to detect threats that may not fit a known signature.
VMware announced the end of availability of the bundle vSphere with Operations Management Enterprise Plus – effective February 1st, 2019. After this date, the corresponding licenses – vSphere Enterprise Plus and vRealize Operations Standard – can still be purchased separately. If you are currently active on your support and subscription (SnS), following are some options that can be discussed based on your business needs:
- Remain on current vSphere Enterprise Plus and vRealize Operations Standard components. VMware announced a nominal increase in SnS costs at the time of renewal.
- Upgrade your components to a higher edition: vSphere Enterprise Plus can be upgraded to vSphere Platinum. vRealize Operations Standard can be upgraded to vRealize Operations Advanced or vRealize Suite Standard.
Please see the current promotions concerning VMware upgrades.
From October 31st 2018 to October 30th 2019, VMware offers special promotions for customers, who are currently under active vSphere with Operations Management Enterprise Plus Support and Subscription (SnS):
- You can save 50% by upgrading your vSphere Enterprise Plus component to vSphere Platinum.
- You can save 50% by upgrading your vRealize Operations Standard component either to vRealize Operations Advanced or vRealize Suite Standard.
- By upgrading both components at the same time, you can save 50% on the upgrade from vSphere Enterprise Plus to vSphere Platinum and 65% on the upgrade from vRealize Operations Standard to vRealize Operations Advanced or vRealize Suite Standard.
The End of General Support (EOGS) for vSphere 5.5 and vSAN 5.5 is September 19th, 2018. To maintain full level of Support and Subscription Services after this date, customers will need to upgrade to vSphere 6.5.
Upgrading to vSphere delivers the latest vSAN release and capabilities. vCloud Suite 5 and vSphere with Operations Management (vSOM) customers running vSphere 5.5 are also recommended to upgrade to vSphere 6.5. For more information about the VMware vSphere Upgrade, please visit: https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/upgrade-center.html